Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 2005 volvo s60 2.5t. Two weeks ago I had an issue…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 volvo...
I have a 2005 volvo s60 2.5t. Two weeks ago I had an issue where the car would turn over but not start. It sputtered once or twice but that's it. I turned repeatedly and nothing. Tach would jump randomly while turning. Once I got a "reduced engine performance" so it made me think to go rent a code reader from auto zone. I got a crank position code. I changed that, cleared the codes, and the car started. It ran fine for two week. However, when cold it seemed to start hard. Maybe I would get a sputter or two, but then it would start fine and run fine. Finally, the other day it returned to past behavior of turning but not starting. I can smell gas so I'm sure I'm getting fuel. After turning quite a few times with no luck (maybe a sputter or two) I got a "reduced engine performance" message again. I ran down to auto zone right away and got the code reader again. This time got p0017 crank position - cam position correlation - bank 1 sensor b. I replaced the cam position sensor thinking that would help, but nothing. After reading some, I feared a timing issue so I took off the timing belt cover and it looks like the timing mark on intake and exhaust are aligned. I suppose they could be off a tooth? What are your thoughts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Volvo
1/7/2018
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You could have several things going on. You could have a sensor related issue or it could be an actual cam timing problem. If the timing marks do line up then you should be able to rule out the timing belt but there may be a variable valve timing issue. I question the crank sensor though if this wasn't an issue until it was replaced.

Do you know what P code was originally setting?

Where did the replacement sensors come from?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think it was p0335 originally. Whatever the code is for crank position sensor. That's why I replaced it to begin with. After I replaced that, it fired right up....only to end where I'm at right now. Are you thinking the crank position sensor went out again? I did buy it from autozone.The cam position sensor was Beck Arnley but they actually boxed an OEM part (it says volvo right on it).

Aftermarket sensors are very troublesome, especially from a budget place like Autozone. I've seen numerous cases where they don't create a signal, create an erratic one, or will pick up the signal in the incorrect spot and cause sync type fault codes. I would recommend replacing the crank sensor with a factory part, clear the codes and go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, so I ordered a genuine Volvo Crank sensor. It will be here wednesday. In the meantime I went out thinking I would crank it once more to see what happens. I jiggled the computer a little bit (based on a post in a volvo forum). I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but it started. I've drove it a couple times and turned in on and off several times. After a while, the p0017 code came back. Still starting though....now I don't know what's up....maybe that sensor is throwing crazy signals like you said?

You either have an actual cam timing issue or an inaccurate sensor. Replace the crank sensor, clear the code and see how it does from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Will do. Do you think that if the timing belt is too old it could potentially have jumped time by a tooth or two....leaving it at a point where it can run sometimes but not others (car compensates for the variance when it can)...or would it be more obvious if it was out of time...I ask this based on some of my readings and the fact that I have no idea when this belt was replace last and it feels like its a little loose.Thanks for your help so far, by the way....

It's possible that the timing belt has jumped or is stretched but the problem wouldn't usually be intermittent.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay I'm back....I finally got the genuine volvo crank sensor from FCP Euro (Denso Brand). While I was waiting over the last couple weeks I will say that one day the car would start, run fine, nothing amiss. The next day, it would turn over and over and never start. One day it started in the morning and the wouldn't in the afternoon. So I had hoped the new genuine part would be the answer. Not my luck. I tried the car prior to replacing just to see. Nothing. I replaced the crank sensor. Still nothing. Checked wires, etc. Still nothing. I'm lost now.I'm getting fuel at the rail, so I assume it is not a fuel issue.

Does it crank but not start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah, like the original question states it cranks but doesn't start. In the thread you'll see that it's an intermittent problem. A couple weeks ago it cranked but wouldn't start. The first code it ever got was a crank sensor, which I replaced with a cheap auto zone one. It worked. Then it didn't work. Then I got a code for cam/crank correlation (0017). I replaced the cam sensor. Didn't work. I got on here and asked question. You suggested to replace the crank sensor again with an oem part. I did that, but still doesn't work. However, I should say that in between the time I asked the question a couple weeks ago and now, the car runs one day but not the next. Either it cranks and starts or cranks and doesn't start. Maybe a sputter or two but then nothing.

Did you clear the code and then see if anything set again after at least ten seconds of continuous cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the code HAVE to be cleared? Can I clear it with a good OBD II that I can rent from Auto Zone?

Codes have to be cleared to know if anything is actively setting. They can be cleared with a code reader. If you're going to rent something an actual scan tool would be beneficial, there is a good chance data is going to need to be monitored to diagnose this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. I'll get one and check back tomorrow.

Great!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay it's still throwing a p0017 code. I got it to start after continuous cranking for about 30 seconds. After that, it started and ran just fine all day. I drove around, went to the parts store, cleared the codes, and after one drive p0017 came back.

Was the engine light on the entire time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here's the pattern. Clear the code. Start the car. Code reads as pending but CEL doesn't come on. Turn off the car. Start the car. Code shows up along with CEL.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Once on, it stays on.

What was the tach doing with the engine running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sitting at about 5 or 600 after warm-up. Runs smooth.

Replacing the crank sensor fixed the tach problem then?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tach jumping was only while cranking the engine. It's always been fine once or if I get it to start. The car runs great when it runs. It's an intermittent hard start or no start issue (but still cranks)
.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no...if it's having a hard start type of day...while turning over the tach jumps randomly. Even after the new crank sensor.

You're going to need the ability to monitor data to proceed with testing. Cam/crank sync needs to be looked at and crank signal needs to be looked at when the tach won't work and it won't start.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician