Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Oil filter housing is sucking air and whistling. what's the…

Customer Question
Oil filter housing is...

Oil filter housing is sucking air and whistling . what's the theory of operation ?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

3 weeks ago .

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2011 s40.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No the dealer has ordered the part .I'm just curious as to how it operates . Most oil filters I know of are canisters ,no air pressure involved.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Volvo
1/4/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Clifton B., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Certified Technician

hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today

the filter housing need to be sealed properly if not it can leak oil and cause the engine to suck in air at the housing this can also happen if the housing have a crack everytime the oil is changed the o-ring seal also need to be replace if not the seal can cause the leak that can result in and noise and engine code

Clifton B.
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Certified Technician