Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I was following a thread concerning a p0037 code on my 06…

Customer Question
Hi Andy. I was following...
Hi Andy. I was following a thread concerning a p0037 code on my 06 v50 non turbo. I replaced what I think is the correct 02 sensor as the part # was provided to me by a Volvo tech. Can I provide you with the VIN# ***** double check. It is yv1mw390x62231239. The code p0037 suggests bank 1, sensor2 correct? I had the part installed and it thinking he stated that it was installed just behind the flex pipe.
What other problems could trigger this code and where should I look. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Volvo
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also. Is there wiring color specifics to each sensor location. That might help determine that the sensor was installed in correct location
12/30/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Here I am attaching the location information along with the electrical information with the wiring highlighted. Other problems that would cause your issue, is the an open circuit in the wiring or damage to the PCM. Also, if the sensor did not come from the dealer or a reputable place, then you may want to purchase another sensor. I have seen many time before that aftermarket sensors tend to not function.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I purchased a denso

Here I am attaching the electrical circuit information along with diagnostic information for the O2 sensors.

Did you purchase it online or from the store? Bosch is also my brand of choice. I never seem to have any issue with them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you suggesting it’s the O2 Sensor in the cat?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I purchased it locally at a store
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That would be the third sensor back. Correct?

This is information from the manufacturer. This VIN number that you have gave is indicating this is the sensor. Not me. Also for the VIN you gave, there is only 2 sensor. There is a third only on vehicles with the legal demands for it.

A car with EMS system that meets ULEV2/EURO4 legal demands is fitted with two heated oxygen sensor. The upper sensor is fitted before the TWC (tree way catalyst) and the second in the middle of the TWC. The upper sensor is linear type and the second is a binary type.There is also a system that meets SULEV legal demands, with three heated oxygen sensors. The upper sensor is fitted before the CCC (Close Coupled Catalytic). The second is situated between stone one and two in the CCC and the third just before the UFC (Under Floor Catalytic). The upper sensor is linear type, the second and the third is binary type. The upper (first) sensor have the following monitoring: - Slow activation (DTC P0133). The impedance in the element is checked and must drop below a calibrated value a short time after start to check that the sensor gets activated fast enough. Continues monitoring. - Slow response (DTC P0133). A dither is added to target lambda. The diagnose will then check if the lambda value can follow this square wave. When the sensor is slow enough to give high emission it will be detected as malfunctioning Performed once per driving cycle. - Heater circuit (DTC P0031, P0032). The sensor heater is continuously monitored. Fault will be detected if circuit is: Open, short to ground or short to battery. - Sensor circuit (DTC 131, 132). The sensor circuit is continuously monitored. Fault will be detected if sensor circuit is: Open, short to ground or short to battery.

The third sensor would not give the code that you have. This code is indicating either the sensor on the converter(2 sensor vehicles), or between stone one and two in the CCC(3 sensors). The sensor that you need is in the converter.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Also, be sure to check the wiring diagram as I have sent the diagram with sensor 2 wiring highlighted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The first photo link of the exhaust looks different than the one I have.
Good morning. Happy New Years. The information that I have provided comes directly from the VIN. The pictures are not always exact, but the information is accurate
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks. Happy new year

Anytime.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. One more thing. Given the info I provided in first message. Vin# ***** code referring to bank1 sensor2 what is the part # for that location? Do you have that information?

Here is the information that you have requested. This information provides part and labor information.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician