Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

1991 VOLVO 740 TURBO 2.3 engine. Checked relay to fuel pump…

1991 VOLVO 740 TURBO 2.3...
1991 VOLVO 740 TURBO 2.3 engine. Checked relay to fuel pump and engine control module. No current to fuel pump and injector. Starting fluid into intake car will start.
Le***** *****
12/29/2017
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

With the key on and ignition off, can you tell me if one of the wires going to the number 1 fuel injector connector is hot?

Will have to check this out and get back with you .

Alright, check that out and let me know. thank you.

Checked number 1 injector with the key in the on position and it was hot.

Alright, that part is correct then. So did you replace the fuel pump relay? or did you inspect it and take it out of it's relay case and take a good look at the circuit board?

the fuel pump relay was replaced. I have not looked at the circuit board but will check it out now.
Where is the circuit board located? I could not locate it.

I was speaking of the circuit board in the fuel pump relay is the fuel pump relay new or did you put another used one in it?

a new fuel pump relay was used.

Alright, Is fuse 11 for the fuel pump HOT when cranking? Check this diagram, diagram 22. It shows the wiring diagram of the fuel pump relay and intank and high pressure rail pump.

http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/volvo/740%20Wiring%20Diagrams/Volvo%20740%201991%20Wiring.pdf

Be sure fuse 1 is hot as well. Let me know what you find there.

When cranking volt is .18 at fuse 11. Key on number 1 injector both wires hot 12 volt
Check fuse 1 + fuse 18 for power when key on and at the ECM pin four is a white wire with key on check for battery voltage there
checked fuse 1 and it was 12 volts. checked fuse 18 and no volts. checked pin 4 and no volt. key was in on position.

OK, check fuse 13, should be battery voltage with key ON, pin 4 on the FUEL PUMP RELAY by looking at the wiring diagram should be a ground. The ECM grounds the Fuel Pump Relay when cranking, so see if you measure 12 volts at pin 4 of the fuel pump relay when cranking and your positive red lead on battery power and your black lead at pin 4.

Do not have pin 4 on fuel pump relay. Fuel pump relay pin 85 pin 30 , 86/1 ,86/2, 87/1, 87/2

Alright, one of the 86 pins is the ECM ground, see if you have a ground on one of the 86 pins when cranking.

key on 86/1 is 11.7 voltage . starting is 86/1 is 6.7 voltage. key on 86/2 is 1to 2 voltage. starting on 86/2 is 2 volts.
here is some corrected information that was sent the last time. when the key is on and the ignition is off the wire going to number 1 injector is not hot
Look for a black relay call suppression real a few Google suppression relay it may come up it is on the fender well attached to the coolant overflow jug.
Jump the two large wire pins on the radio suppression relay and see if the injectors get power then.
I jumped the two wire and no power to the injector.

Alright, leave the key off, and at the radio supression relay, see if you can find the hot wire that goes to the injectors, should be less than 1 ohm, from the injectors to one of the pins in the radio supression relay, then turn the key ON, and see if the other larger gauge wire in that relay is HOT with key ON.

Jump 30 to 87 on that relay, and see if you have power to the injectors then.

No marking on relay to identify 30 to 87
Is one of them hot with key on? There are two smaller wires and two bigger wires correct?
One of the small wires is hot with the key on. One of the large wires is hot with key on or off.
Ok, that is right. Jump the two hot wires together and see if the injector wire is hot then,

Then see if it will crank and run then with those two larger wires in the supression relay jumped.

Jumped pins 30 to 87 and no fire to the number 1 injector. Pin 85 is going to a relay but can not identify that on my drawing. Can you give me the name on that relay?
Please opted out

Alright Leroy, If you jumped pins 30 to 87 on the supression relay and didn't get power to the injectors , then it's likely got a open wire somewhere. Let me opt out as I can't know exactly where that might be. Thank you.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Leroy, different expert here. My name is***** you still need help with this?

1991 Volvo 740 turbo 2.3 engine. Checked relay to fluid pump and engine control module. No current to fuel pump and injector. Starting fluid into intake ,car will start. New fuel pump relay added.

Ok, previously you stated that you had 12V at one of the wires to the injector with the key on. You also said that you have 12V on both wires to the injector with the key on. Then you stated that you do not have power. Can you verify for me whether or not you ever measure 12V at either of the wires to the injectors with the key on?

Phone call session started
Give me a time that is best for me to talk with you. I am on the east coast.

I'm going to be away until Sunday afternoon. I will be available then. I am also on the east coast.

What is the fuel injector resistance injector used for? If bad what happens?

Hi Leroy, the injector resistors lower the voltage to the fuel injectors. Injector voltage should be approximately 4V, not 12V as you had mentioned earlier. If the resistor is bad will have no injector pulse but you will still have fuel pump operation.

With ignition on I have 12v on injector wire on both sides. Why don't I have 4v at the injection wire?

Hi Leroy, you will measure 12V with the engine off or the plug disconnected. The voltage drops when the engine is running and you have a complete circuit.

Heated lambda sensor in tank fuel pump does what? One fuel pump under car and one in fuel tank. How many fuses do you have in the fuse box?

Hi Leroy, the lambda sensor is for emissions control. The in tank pump supplies the main pump with fuel. Let's just focus on the no start problem. Are we still dealing with a crank/no start? Do you have fuel pressure when cranking the motor? Will the motor run on starting spray?

No fuel pump pressure or starting when cranking. Spray fluid into intake and car will start.

Does the car continue to stay running after you stop spraying the starting fluid?

the car stops running after starting fuel burns out.

Ok, first you need to make sure that you have 12V to the fuel injection control module at terminal 9 (blue/yellow wire) with the key on. Next, check for power at terminal 20 (yellow/black wire) with the key on. You should have battery voltage. Crank the engine and monitor the voltage at terminal 20. The voltage should go to ground when cranking. If the voltage does not switch to ground when cranking, manually put ground to terminal 20 (yellow/black wire) at the fuel injection control module. If the engine starts and runs you will need to replace the fuel injection control module.

Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
I don’t think you have any of those module failure just go ag fuel pump beck car check for power if you got no power at pump then test wires relay but if you have power replace fuel pump
Is the fuel injection control module the same as the ignition control module?
But here I send some good info that is pre set for older 240/740
http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/FuelSystem.html#Fuel%20Pump%20and%20FI%20Relay%20Diagnostic%20Tests
Use this also
http://www.stepbystepvolvo.com/Resources/Volvo%20No-Start.pdf
That should help you a lot you can follow up with me ageib here later on if you can please accept this answer we will
Stay locked and you can talk to me other experts try to help left I’m gone help you
You can reply here
http://www.davebarton.com/pdf/relay_87_700.pdf
If You can do this rating Please at the box on the upper right hand corner and press that GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON . This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out.
please if you can press the ACCEPT button and rate answer positive would be great if you can do that for me also you can follow up anytime after you press accept again if you need more help we stay locked. Thank you
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Enes thank you for your help but since I was talking with Marty he is the one I want to continue with.

He left the question after expert leaves that is like he can’t help anymore or he don’t have time I try to get him to reply