Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Volvo S60 2.5 turbo that is chugging. Seems to…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Volvo...
I have a 2007 Volvo S60 2.5 turbo that is chugging. Seems to be missing. I have replaced the plugs and ordered a MAF sensor. The MAF is what I've read most likely to be an issue but maybe not this issue. Yet, my old school mind tells me it is missing on one cylinder. If you believe it to be a coil, how do I test them separately? Can I pull the coil and attach another plug to it, without breaking shit???Ray
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello Ray and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

The coils do go bad, it's actually the coil tube, not the coil itself, they get cracks, and sometimes you can see them where they burn a spark through them, but not always, sometimes they just fail and don't fire right and true every time. Is the check engine light on? or have you seen it come on at all since this problem ?

the check engine light has came on without a message and went off. I just tested to the coils like mentioned above and one is not firing at all!!!! Let me get another coil and see if that cures everything.

if it's not firing at all, but 4 are, then it's likely the coil itself. make sure you didn't pinch a wire in the wiring loom up top by screwing the top engine plate screw through the wiring harness. You should get a misfire code for just that cylinder if it's bad, swap coils with the suspect coil, and then see if your misfire code changes to a different cylinder if your not sure about it. then misfire code will follow the bad coil.

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician