Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Are you? the Volvo turns well, received gas and sparks but…

Customer Question
Hey how are you...

Hey how are you? the Volvo turns well, received gas and sparks but wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It shut off while driving since then it turns wont starts

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2014 s60 t5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Check for sparks on all the coils and gas , starting fluid

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Volvo
12/28/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

How many miles are on the vehicle approximately?

hey eddie,
the car stop suddently while driving, I checked the sparks from the coils, starting fluid, gas pump, fuses everything looks good but the car wont start
I proceed to a computer diagnose the only code was circuit board A

So you do have spark when cranking correct? does it sound normal when cranking? like the engine has compression? what is the mileage roughly? thank you.

60k miles, to tell you the truth it sounded like a timming issue at first but after I opened the cover gasket up they were no issues with the timing

OK, should be fine at 60K on the timing belt. What happened when you sprayed starting fluid in it? did it act like it wanted to run at all then?

not at all ,

Alright, does it have spark when cranking to the plugs?

all 5 of them
fires

Alright, Do you have an OBD II scan tool? I was wondering if any codes are set.

I do have one but Its not sophisticated

I understand, if you just check the codes with key on engine off, what do you get? any codes in the Engine Computer stored?

ill get back to you in a bit with the exact codes

Alright, that sounds good. thank you.

Did it cut off going down the highway? or at idle? thank you.

Highway
Code U0073
Control module communication bus off

here is what I am seeing with that particular code, there are two terminals under the ECM and TCM, that are called the "twisted pair" or CAN communication wires. These wires over time corrode at the bottom of these modules and you have to take new pins and solder them on the wires and install them back into the ECM and TCM connectors. That is one possible scenario.

Unless it is a module that has gone off line and has just quit communicating shutting down the network. Which a trained tech and a Volvo Vadis machine could diagnose fairly easily.

While starting the vehicle, the engine turns but it won't start and a display in the cluster stating that starting is in progress. But won't start
While using a more advanced computer one of the code that was stored in the computer was the Tcm CAN communication wire while running a test on the TCM.
I see the ecm inside the box next to the air filter but I can locate the Tcm or the So called CAN wire. Can you help me find out a location?
I see the ecm inside the box next to the air filter but I cannot locate the Tcm or the So called CAN communication wire. Can you help me find out a location?
To be more precise the computer diagnostic revealed " high speed CAN communication wire "

I don't have a wiring diagram for this late of a model unfortunately, but I can say that the only place you are going to get the parts you need is Volvo to fix it. as these pins are very small, and there is a special tool to get the ECM and TCM out. I would suggest maybe towing it to a volvo dealer and seeing if they would cover this repair under warranty being it is fairly new, I have seen them cover repairs that were much further out of warranty than this one. But really it would likely only be 3 hours labor or so if my theory is correct and I believe it is. The pins that are needed are in the large ECM connector and TCM connector. and you have to pull both of those units out and solder in new pins and take the connector apart to do it. Does that sound like something you would do? because if you have never done it before, I would rule against it. You could damage the connector trying to get the modules out without the special tool to get them out.

Iam a tech certified, it happens to be the first time I'm working on a Volvo

Alright, I understand. I really don't think I can add much more to this other than telling you what is likely wrong with it.

Let me opt out and another expert can provide you with a diagram if they have it. Thank you.

Volvo Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** you have spark and fuel and injector pulse and it won't fire I would run a compression test. It sounds like it jumped time and may have bent some valves.

Let me know what you have for compression on all cylinders.

I will

Thanks, I'll wait to hear from you.

Okay

Hi, you sent me links to the Volvo owners manual. I don't understand. Have you checked the compression?

It looks like it was the previous expert who sent the links. I think he may have been replying to the wrong question. Let me know what you find when you run the compression test.