Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Transmission Service Required light came on and the car went…

Customer Question
Transmission Service Required light...

Transmission Service Required light came on and the car went into limp mode to get home. No leaks and no previous problems. I was driving it harder than normal but it's getting old. 2001 V70 T5

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Volvo Mechanic to figure that out. Are you fixing your V70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just considering options.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Volvo
12/27/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Do you have a scan tool, and if so, have you read the codes yet? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have a scan tool.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked the fluid. It's clear, red, and full

Alright, It could be solenoids in the valve body, or it could be wheel speed sensors or the ABS control module not sending speed information to the TCM. It's definitely got a code in it if your getting that message. Have you serviced the transmission at all in it? and how many miles are on it now? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to see if the system will reset for tomorrow to drive it. Or if I can reset it now.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It hasn't been serviced but it has been heckled and has always been good. 60k on the transmission. Rebuild.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should add there have been no problems with this transmission.

Alright, I've seen the network shut down at the TCM because the pins get corroded on the bottom. You can try this, disconnect the negative cable from the battery in the trunk for an hour or so, you'll need a 10mm and 12mm and 13mm to get to the battery, that may clear out the code, OR, if a local autoparts store is close, you may be able to get a scan tool or borrow a scan tool from them from their tool loaner program to erase the codes, you would only be able to erase the codes in the ECM though, not in the TCM. that requires an advanced scan tool to be able to erase codes other than engine codes.

TCM (Transmission control module). The first step is to read off the codes, if there is CAN communication codes, it will likely have to be repinned on the bottom of the ECM and TCM, which we charge around 2.0 hours to do. I do not believe it's internal if you had the unit rebuilt 60K miles ago. but sometimes the valvebody does give trouble on these if it's used again on the rebuild as some debris is hard to remove from it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll get some codes.

Alright, get the codes read when you can, and if it has communication faults between the ECM and TCM then likely you will have to re=pin the connectors at the bottom of the ecm and tcm communication wires, (they are green and white FYi and twisted together) I would recommend Aamco transmission shop, or the best transmission shop you can find locally. I would stay away from the dealer on this one. They don't even go into this transmission at all at the dealer anymore. Does that help answer your question? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
02F is the code

Alright, that is not standard OBD II format, those codes start with P0 folowed by 3 or P followed by 4 digits, but , what that refers to is the lock up function on the torque converter. It's possible it may need a new torque converter, but you could try putting some Dr. Tranny's shudder fixx in it. This additive can help the torque converter clutch not slip as much and grab better. If you can clear the codes out with a scan tool and add some of that additive, it may help. Also, disconnect the battery for a good 15 minutes and that could erase the codes if they are soft codes and not a hard fault. If not, then I would recommend an Aamco or a local transmission shop with good reviews to pull codes from the Transmission Control Module and see what they pertain to and give you a good diagnosis on what the vehicle needs. Shouldn't be more than a min. diagnostic charge to tell you exactly what it will take to fix it. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician