Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 xc90 It runs fine but when I try to turn it…

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 xc90 It runs fine but when I try to turn it off the ignition won't turn completely off and I cant get the key out. This happens only when it's really cold outside. I had the entire ignition replaced 2 years ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I don't think so. I've tried the key also. Both work as long as it's not cold out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

When the ignition was replaced, it was because the key would not turn. Locked in the off position. Took it to the mechanic he checked the shifter and replaced the ignition. The next winter it wouldn't turn off and I took it back to mechanic. He took apart the shifter and check for gunk and made sure everything was clean, gave it back and told me to try it now. So far I have sprayed some WD40 on the key and put it in the ignition and sprayed a little on the shifter. Mechanic wants to tear through it to see whats wrong

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The security service light is on. It's been on a long time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Volvo
12/27/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 6 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

when the mechanic replaced the ignition last year, did he get a new ignition switch with new keys or he got a whole use steering column with switch included ?

the car run good for a while afterwards correct ?