Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My XC90 was not used for 3 months. It started well. But I…

Customer Question
HI, my XC90 was...

HI, my XC90 was not used for 3 months. It started well. But I cannot release the parking break: the foot lever is all the way down and I cannot release it. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes, all other things are fine and the car is running idol now for 30min engine sounds normal

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your XC90?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I usually fix some of the stuff, never had issues with the breaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I noticed that the lever was lower than usual and it seems to be all the way throw. The car was in our driveway, which is slightly uphill.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Volvo
12/18/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am a Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

The cables is either out of adjustment, broken or stretched. If the pedal is all the way to the floor and you cannot release it you may have to remove the pedal assembly from the side panel and release the brake. Once released I would check the cable and the adjustment of the parking brake. You can adjust the brake shoes with the star adjustment and there is also an adjustment in the cable.

Now that I have provided a full or partial answer a 5 star rating would be appreciated. You can do this by clicking on the stars in the upper right hand corner. Rating will not close out our chat session and we will be able to respond to each other as many times as needed for free. Providing a positive rating is the only way I receive credit for my work with you.

Customer service is my number one goal. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question answered!

Dan, ASE Master Technician