Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 volvo S70 non turbo, 174,000 miles. On the…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 volvo...
I have a 2000 volvo S70 non turbo, 174,000 miles. On the first start of the day, when cold,
(below 30 deg.) the car has no acceleration for the first half mile or so. If feels like limp home mode. After a half mile or so, it clears up and runs normally until it has cooled overnight.No CEL, the ETM has a white sticker on it. Vida shows a low signal on knock sensor as only code ECM 3400. I replace the knock sensor, and no change, still shows code.The only variable conditon appears to be the outside temp.Any thoughts ?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Volvo Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 8 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Yes, a defective coolant temp sensor out of calibration can surely cause this. The job of this sensor is to richen the mixture on a cold engine. It's not setting a code because it is working, but just incorrectly reporting the right temp to the computer.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again,

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me
My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.

direction.