Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have the same issue as the guy with the center seat on the…

Customer Question
I have the same...

I have the same issue as the guy with the center seat on the second row in my 2006 XC90 7 passenger. I want to take the seat out permanently but I worry about the other seat belts and air bags. From your answer you seem to think it will be ok to remove it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?

My granddaughter bumped a car from the rear and it locked up five of her seat belts. Well I removed four of them and sent them to Safety Restore to be rebuilt which they did and I reinstalled them and had Volvo dealer check them and they are fine. The one problem is the center seat second row has the internal mounted belt and you have to take the seat out and disassemble the seat to get it out. So we want to take the seat out permanently. We worry about the other belts and air bags.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and as I said before I took four of them out and had them recharged and I put them back in except the second row center jump seat which is very hard to get to. So we want to take it out permanently.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 2 days by:
12/16/2017
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Removing the seatbelt pretensioner on that seat shouldn't affect the operation of the other pretensioners and airbags, but there isn't any published data from the manufacturer to state one way or the other because airbag and seatbelt systems aren't to be modified, removed or disabled without going through proper technical and legal procedures. The airbag module should still operate the other pretensioners and airbags with this one missing but it could not be guaranteed. At the least you would have a permanent airbag light on if the pretensioner squib was not in the circuit.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.