Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Coolant is flowing out of the bottom of the engine

Customer Question
coolant is flowing out...

coolant is flowing out of the bottom of the engine compartment near where the radiator must be f

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

104 miliage is ok. driver side. all the coolant is leaking out in a matter of seocnds.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2005 s50

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried telling my daughter to no to drive if the red light comes on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Are you a real person?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Volvo
major leak driver side near the forn of the compartment. coolant is flowing out fast. can't quite see but is this near the radiator connection?
12/12/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

If the red light comes on, it is too late...

What led up to this? did the driver hit something?

Stop driving now. Get it towed, or you will probably cook the engine. Sorry to be the bearer of this news, but the engine will be ruined.

Hard to say what has failed - could be the radiator, hoses...

What specifically is at the front driver side front of the compartment? Motor is not cooked. after it cooled off I started it up for a second And it sounds good without any burn. Oil is clear.
Seems like it’s right under the air cleaner on the right-hand side as you’re facing the motor
Nothing hit
How do you get 20 Canadians out of a swimming pool?Ask them to please get out of the swimming pool
Driver side front quadrant of the motor compartment underneath what is probably the air cleaner all the water is leaking out very fast. I put a hose into the reserve and Ran it In the water immediately showed up dripping from the driver side near the front of the engine compartment underneath the box which I assume to be an air cleaner.
What parts are most likely located here? Is it worth my time to try to fix this myself I’m pretty good with tools. If it’s the water pump in this region I don’t want to mess with it. If it’s a hose to the radiator here I probably will try
I would have to remove the air cleaner looking like thing to get to that leak leak
Where is water pump
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You opted out the person helping, preventing him from replying to you.

A coolant leak near the front of the engine could be from the water pump, radiator, or radiator hoses. If you're unable to tell where it's coming from then the best thing to do would be to rinse the area with water, fill the system with coolant or water, and then use a pressure tester to help find the leak. A pressure tester installs at the radiator cap and will put the system under operating pressure without the engine running, and water or coolant will be forced out of wherever the source of the leak is.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

It was a burst hose. The answer “if you’re red light Came on then it’s too late” was wrong and not helpful at all . I actually looked on the parts and coolant diagram that I found for the car and figured out that it was in fact the Upper Radiator hose.The other answer I was given that it is the hose or the radiator was just as useless as the first comment. And admonishment not to drive the car did not help me fix it either. I would like a refund for this totally worthless information and for the fact that my second answer didn’t come back in a timely manner