Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 2002 S80 with 190K miles that has been well

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 S80 with 190K miles that has been well maintained. The Oil Trap has been replaced @ 180K miles but it's still leaking oil. Oil appears to be coming from oil pan gasket. I have to add a 1/2 quart about every 500 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

Which gaskets and hoses?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I use to an independent certified Volvo Mechanic or ASE Mechanics.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Volvo
12/11/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If the oil pan was replaced but its still leaking then either the mating surface on the transmission wasn't cleaned correctly or the sump pan part may have been a pattern part as I've known non-genuine sumps to not be flat

its also possible that the leak isn't from the sump pan gasket line but is higher up ? as if the rear seal is leaking then it can run down inside the bellhousing and out of the bottom ?

to verify this I'd get the car fully warm and then onto a ramp so it can be viewed from underneath with a running engine

then spray the effected area with brake cleaner to remove any oil /dirt and watch carefully whilst your assistant moves the transmission through each gear ( with the foot firmly on the brake) as this will boost the trans oil pressure up and help find a leak

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician