Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Volvo S80 T6 that I getting out of storage my…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Volvo S80 T6 that I getting out of storage my problem is the radiator cooling fan was running. I was charging a dead battery overnight and came out in the morning to find the fan running. I thought if I disconected the battery for a few minutes that it wouuld shut off, it didn't and I can't seem to locate the fuse, any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Battery took a charge and I'm not sure how old it is maybe 3 years

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried disconecting the battery, reconnected 5 minutes later and it started right back up. Thought about removing the fuse or disconnecting the fan switch.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Volvo
12/9/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

What happens is, the fan control module goes bad on these and supplies full battery power to the cooling fan at all times and it does drain the battery fairly quickly, if you follow the wires from the fan control module up to the big two wire connector, and disconnect that connector, the fan will not run anymore, you will need a new fan control module, usually I replace the entire fan assembly itself. It looks like this, here is a picture of the connector at the top of the fan assembly that you should unplug. If you replace the entire cooling fan assembly it will fix your problem.

Here is a picture of the fan assembly, the connector that you see in the picture with the wiring is what you should disconnect, just remember to keep your eye on the temperature gauge and not let the engine sit at idle if you do drive it with the fan disconnected as it will overheat. your fine as long as your driving it more than 30 mph or so as air going through the radiator is ample to cool the engine.

A cooling fan online is around 140$, and it takes about an hour to replace it.

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you and best wishes!