Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Volvo V70. I am getting a message about a

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Volvo V70. I am getting a message about a failure of a position light. I live a long distance from an authorized dealer and am trying to avoid a long road trip if I can replace the bulb.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The message center reads bulb failure position light. There is no reference to a position light in the owners manual. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a local auto repair shop that has generally taken care of it for the past 9 years. They checked out all the lights they could identify in the car and found them to be all operable. I am now trying to fix it myself.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Volvo
12/8/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

You get this message when you have a rear tail light out usually, leave the lights on and walk around the back of the vehicle, and compare all the lights from drivers side to passenger side, also look at the license plate lights, you should see a bulb that is not burning when looking at all of them. Let me know what you find there.

Do you see a bulb out in the back anywhere?

upper portion of lights at the left rear

Alright, those are a little tricky to get to but not impossible, it's a single element bulb and it's in a white bulb holder, you need to pull the panel out that's just behind the light on the inside of the vehicle and twist the bulb holder counter clockwise and it should come out, you can get the replacement bulbs at Auto Zone. When you replace the bulb that is burned out the position light warning message will go out. It's nothing that will keep you from driving the vehicle, but I would get it fixed as soon as possible. Does that answer your question?

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you and best wishes!