Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 volvo s40 t5 turbo no start no cluster lights no power…

Customer Question
2005 volvo s40 t5...

2005 volvo s40 t5 turbo no start no cluster lights no power to door locks Windows radio only dome lights and head lights when key is taken out. I installed new battery installed new ignition switch did ecm reset checked battery in line fuses power on both sides of cables to positive lead and checked all inline 80 and 50 60 amp fuses under hood power both sides i can hear the maf running fuel pump when jey is turned its also stuck in park i bought a used shufting unit with low miles incase thats problem steering wheel also doesnt unlock when key is turned any postion bought car cheap cause last owner thought it was junk ruch folk who were done fixing it lol so i bought cheap old ignition switch key was stuck and same issuses no start no cluster etc ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Power loss has been same even after replacing old unit which did same thing im bmw mercedes mechanic was hoping for some volvo insight im starting to lead toward cem module but have read needs to be programmed by dealer new or used so before wasting more money

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I already told u im a ase mechanic myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Volvo
12/6/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check and make sure there is no wiring damage from the fuse panels and fuses causing this issue here.If any wiring is found corroded or damaged leading from the panels this can cause this issue here needing repaired or replaced.If this is or was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know here so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete thank you you i light tested every fuse in and out of car there is power im wondering if either the scu i got is bad because 1st postion and second position gets no dings no bells no instruments and obvious no start the only thing i have is interior lights and the lil red park lights up on shifter and by gas door power will pop do you think it can be corroded connectores on ecm or bad ecm

Your welcome

Have you had the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool that can read all computers to see what codes are set with this issue here at all?

Im not sure obd 2 is working like i said in any position of the key brings on no power accesories at all so im assuming obd2 port will be useless ive checked both fuses boxes fuses and every fuse has power also checked mains and battery terminal in lines they have oower on both sides theres just no power when i go to start it u here a low pitched click new battery cleaned all grounds under hood switched out scu unit im also changing shifter assembly today also as it lights up but stuck in park unless i use override my sterring wheel stays locked to just so you know. Im also going to clean to undo all plugs from passenger fuse/ecm today scrub all contacts as i read they come loose or corrodedIf those dont do do u think it could be steering wheel lock module or a bad key fob battery or ecuIve veen a mechanic myself 25 years never seen where interor lights and fas cap electronic button works but no power elsewhere which leads me back to maybe a faulty scu ? Or cem if todays cleaning dont workTheres no check engine light on dash and since there is no power on any position of key will obd2 port work ?
please let me know on my last message i know your prob busy. I must say ive done 1000s of bmw mercedes even range rovers but electrically the volvo is like cat and mouse lol
Pete, Technician