Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I bought 2004 Volvo S80 AWD (REBUILT STATUS here in

Customer Question
Hey guys,I bought 2004 Volvo...
Hey guys,I bought 2004 Volvo S80 AWD (REBUILT STATUS here in Alberta), a few days ago. Not from dealer, but from some other guy. Yesterday, I noticed that odometer doesn't work most of the time (both total and trip meter), always followed by ABS light on, "Brake failure, stop safely." and cruise control malfunction. My guess would be ABS module failure. However, dashboard shows 163738 km, even though the real mileage can be way higher, depending on how long for the previous owner just ignored the problem...
Is there any way of how to get the correct mileage out of some different storage (ECU maybe?) with usage of VIDA? If so, won't it just show the same value, since it might receive data from the same failing source? Can authorized Volvo dealer check it, without fixing anything? Just connect it to diagnostic system, check the data, try to find the proper mileage, print it out for me as a proof and that's it?
If so, I could easily push on the previous owner to give me the money back...Thank you,Tom
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Volvo
12/5/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You can have Volvo plug in their machine and see if they can read the actual mileage with their VIDA tool from the engine ECU, abs ecu or instrument cluster ecu.But if they all show the same mileage as the cluster gauge does and you have all of these lights here coming on this may be a fault with the vehicle speed sensor sending a false signal intermittently needing replaced.This will cause all of these issues as well as incorrect odometer mileage values on a scan tools data list in all of those computers.

Now if the computers show the correct mileage which ends up being different then the gauge cluster shows then this can be a fault with the gauge cluster itself instead of it needing replaced or repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician