Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1991 240dl want start, I have had the fuses changed and…

Customer Question
My 1991 240dl want...

My 1991 240dl want start, I have had the fuses changed and area cleaned then the car works for a couple of days and then stopped again what else could be wrong

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

I am not sure

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '91 Volvo?

240 DL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 240 DL yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I take it to a mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The back brake light keep going out

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Volvo
12/4/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** for the delay in answering your question. In addition to the fuses inside the car, there is an inline fuse holder next to the battery that can cause the car to stall intermittently. Have the mechanic clean or replace the fuse holder. Next step would be to test for ignition spark and fuel pressure. The common cause of no spark is a bad crankshaft position sensor. The common cause of no fuel pressure is a bad fuel pump relay. On your brake light, you most likely have a poor connection where the bulb holder connects to the tail light.

Let me know if you have any questions.

It appeared the mechanic had done these items you mention

Hi, has your mechanic been able to determine if the car is losing spark or losing fuel when it dies? Does the car immediately start back up when it dies?