Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Volvo 1990 distributor wiring detail?

Customer Question
Volvo 1990 distributor wiring detail?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** can I help?

I have a 1990 Volvo 240. My car wouldn't start after I was at the laundry mat. One of my Niegbors said the distributor cap was on backwards. He started to pull the wires off before I could tell him to stop. I need the firing order for the distributor cap.
Do you need a picture of the cap?

Ok, standby

Sorry that's the wrong diagram.

Thought you have a 740. Standby for the 240.

I will try it tomorrow. I don't have a garage. This car was running fine until it rained, then I was having problems starting. Once it dried it was running fine.
Any ideas about that. Is it possible the cap was 180 off and wired to run?

Sorry for the wait. I had to break for dinner.

The car will only run correctly if the firing order is correct. Sometimes you see the cap put on backwards then wired correctly and it will work but the cap is indexed and can only be put on one way otherwise it would not sit correctly on the distributor. If it wasn't sitting correctly it would be prone to moisture getting into the cap.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please be sure to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.

Marty

Marty, from what you told me and the diagram. Cylinder #1 is to the right of the clamp holding the distributor down.
Then clockwise from #1..

Correct

Looking at your picture cylinder #1 is to the left of the clamp.

If you remove the cap there should be a thin groove cut into the top edge of the distributor that lines up with #1 on the cap.

Very good, I'll make sure it's set to the firing order to 1-3-4-2. Is there an advance the timing? To accomplish this I would need to loosing up the clamp and turn the distributor counterclockwise to advance the timing and counterclockwise to retard the timing. The cap must have been on backwards and getting wet.

That is correct on the timing but there should be no need to change the timing.

I'm leaving this page open. Tomorrow I will know more. Thanks and I will complete the rating after I follow your instructions.

Sounds good. I'll be here if you need anything.

I appreciate your time and your expert advice. I'll let you know how it works tomorrow.

You're quite welcome.

I had to go get a spark plug wire kit and some gas now I'm going to wire it to the way you said

Ok, let me know how it goes.

I wired it to specs and still won't start. Now my battery is dead. I bought this car after my house and car burnt in a house fire. I'm bleeding out money trying to rebuild my life. I've had this car for about a month. Not happy...

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble. Do you know how to test for spark from the coil?

it's getting spark.
I put 5 gallons of gas, it showed under a half tank.

Over near the battery there is an inline fuse holder. It's usually a white fuse holder. Check the fuse and the connections to the fuse holder.

I give up. Going to buy a more reliable car.

I understand. You should at least inspect that fuse holder near the battery. It's a common cause of a no start. Also clean and inspect all of the fuses in the main fuse box inside the car.

I will check and get back to you.
I checked it with my multimeter, it's ok. Screw this car. I have to buy a reliable one.
I'm done here. I wish it turned out better. Issue not resolved.

Ok, good luck with the new car!

Please provide information to cancel the fee. I'm not a satisfied customer.