Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

O have a 2007 volvo S-40 with a 2.4i non turbo with an

Customer Question
automatic transmission that has stalled...
O have a 2007 volvo S-40 with a 2.4i non turbo with an automatic transmission that has stalled and I cannot get drunk g again. I would like he'll from a certified volvo me ha if who can get me an answer on defending how to fix it. It has 201,000 miles on it. It sounds like the started is turning but the engine is not. I have already hanger the starter
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Volvo
11/26/2017
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the starter motor is running but the engine is not turning then there has to be an issue with the starter or flexplate, possibly mechanical engine damage. There would have been unmistakable noise when the engine died if there is damage to the crankshaft.

With a helper cranking the engine while you watch, you don't see the belt and pulleys turning?

The pulleys are not turning and the low battery safe mode light is on. What is the flex plate. I changed the starter out. There was no noise when it quit or when the engine did turn over.

The flexplate is bolted to the back of the crankshaft and to the torque converter. The starter gear engages teeth on the flexplate to turn the engine.

Is there any way of checking to verify what the real problem is. I changed the starter and I put a battery charger on it for 4 hours and it still says low battery mode and the engine is not turning over. There was no noise when it stalled and all the lights went out when it did? Any info to try and verify the problem would be helpful. If the engine is dead then I do not want to throw good money after bad and I will just scrap it.

It's going to require physical inspection to determine what the problem is. If the starter motor is running then there is a mechanical failure, whether it's the flexplate, crankshaft, or you still have a bad starter.

Thank you . I will look at some things tomorrow evening and get back to you on Tuesday. Thanks

You're welcome.