Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My Volvo s40 t5 auto is slow to takeoff and it also jerks…

My Volvo s40 t5...

My Volvo s40 t5 auto is slow to takeoff and it also jerks when it changes gears as if there is a delay

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

It has about 140000 km and there is no obvious leak

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your S40?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I changed the transmission oil without any luck

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nohing

There is a transmittion service required message on the display
11/25/2017
Matt, Engineer

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Will do. Thanks
Now it is raining here in Soweto. Will try later.

understood

just get back to me on this post

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer