Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

The speedometer only works intermittently, I think the

Customer Question
The speedometer only works...

The speedometer only works intermittently, I think the sensor is bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Yes, cruise control service required

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2007 S80

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I plan to fix it myself. So far, I'm just researching

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Actually, I have more trouble codes:

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Volvo
11/24/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you ,I will try to help you with this issue

the speedometer gets and output signal from tcm module that is how speed is measured

click on link to view description of speedometer head

is the abs light on or no ?

we have an output & input speed sensor ?

now to know for sure we need a Volvo caner to retrieve fault codes and pull up a pin point troubleshoot

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do you have a test light & or power probe for testing ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

Did you scan it with factory scanner or equivalent & faults retreievd ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

the abs light is not on
I was looking to fix it myself
I do have experience with electrical system troubleshooting
However, as it turns out, this is not a particularly good time to work on it. the car is presently not here.

ok no problem ,what are the fault codes you have , did you use basci code reader or volvo specific, for speedometer we need a specific scanner or u can only read engine and abs fault with basic ones

we can continue later when u have the car

you can replace the sensors ,but with fault codes from tcm module we can pull up a pin point troubleshoot and be accurate on it

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I just bought this car yesterday.
I do not have a basic or Volvo specific scanner. I simply read the following fault codes displayed on the DIM:
Charging failure service urgent - Previous owner installed a new alternator from Advanced auto, but didn't know how to reset the error code
Tire pressure low - new tires, but the right rear looks a bit low, I will likely put nitrogen in the tires after I get the tire checked for leaks
Cruise control service required - I figured since the speedometer isn't working, this is probably related.
Collision warn service required - I have no idea about this
In the past, on other vehicles, if I've had an intermittent speedometer, it generally turned out to be the output sensor on the transmission, so it makes sense to me that the transmission control module provides a signal to the DIM
So far the pictures you've sent seem to be more of a tease than an answer. I think what I need is a picture of the transmission output sensor and exactly where it is located (not a picture pointing to the transmission pan) and perhaps a few instructions about its replacement and any precautions I need to be aware of.

i m afraid that is all i know on it but I will opt out of your question for other expert so you are not wasting your money with me , they will know better on it and will assist you further

good luck with it ,

please do not reply back to me since it will lock the question back to me and other expert want see it to assist you further on it

Volvo Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** car actually uses the front wheel speed sensors AND the transmission output shaft speed sensor to calculate an average vehicle speed. The two signals are then sent to the CEM and then to the instrument cluster. The common cause of this problem is the CEM, not the speeds sensors. If one of the sensors failed the system would still transmit speed to the CEM from the other sensors. I would inspect the connectors on the CEM for corrosion. It is not unusual for water to intrude into the connector and cause problems. The CEM is located under the dash on the passenger side. I've attached a picture below.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty