Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

89 Volvo 245 - I am not getting power to the fuel pump

Customer Question
39;89 Volvo 245 -...

39;89 Volvo 245 - I am not getting power to the fuel pump (checked with voltmeter on the pump leads) ... fuses #4 and #6 are good, but I see that the (new) fuel pump relay closes when I turn on the ignition but almost immediately opens... when I turn ignition on again, the relay will not close again unless I disconnect the relay from the socket and reconnect...

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Steering wheel is fine and the key is fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 240 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to fix it myself, disconnected fuel line from FI fuel rail and cranked to see if any fuel flowed - then I did the diagnostic checks described above... it seems like something is preventing the relay from closing... some fault condition to prevent fuel flooding... I checked the on-board diagnostics (flashing light) but only got 1-1-1...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm stumped... but if the mechanic has any ideas what might be causing the fuel pump relay to close and then open almost immediately after turning the ignition key, that would be a good start.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Volvo
11/25/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** you power the fuel pump directly does the car start?

Marty. After I submitted my question, I ran power to the fuel pump and confirmed it was inoperative. I replaced the fuel pump and the car is now running fine. Since I really didn't get any help from just answer, may I have the fee refunded? Mike

Hi Mike, glad you got it going. I will submit your question for a refund.

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician