Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Have Volvo x c 70 2007 I got switch will not turn past 1,

Customer Question
Have Volvo x c...

Have Volvo x c 70 2007 I got switch will not turn past 1 , steering will unlock shifter will not move?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

No sure

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '70 Volvo?

X c 70

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes stuck in a remote location

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Giggling the key tried extra keys , not gotten the tools out yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Volvo
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/24/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Is the vehicle still stuck in a remote location? let us know, Thank you

No , removed ing switch turned on with screw driver , key in ing. Still will not turn past setting one , found transmission override switch shifted out of park drove home still 200 miles from mechanics
Thanks
Rob

Ok, that is what I was going to suggest Rob, is removing the ignition switch and placing the key in the lock cylinder to get it to turn enough to release the steering wheel, what your going to need to do is order a new column lock assembly. This assembly is ordered to fit the existing keys you have for the vehicle. What happens is the gears inside the column lock break, and now you have a piece of gear stuck in the lock assembly jamming up the mechanism from moving. The correct repair is to replace the column lock assembly and order one to fit your existing programmed keys. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you. the part is 250$ or so. And will have to be ordered through a dealership or an online specific volvo site such as Volvopartswebstore.com I like the dealer on this specific part though, because if there is a problem with the exisiting keys you have fitting the new column lock, then it's on them. It is cut from your VIN number. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.