Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

When turning the key the car sound like it about to start…

Customer Question
When turning the key...

When turning the key the car sound like it about to start but will not turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes the wheel turn and no the key is not worn or damaged

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

98/S90

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The problem just happen to last night... I just checked the fuel pump fuses. But I haven't checked the relay switches. Could it be the relay switches or the fuel pump ... Or do it have a shut off valve that's not let gas go through

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Volvo
11/22/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 5 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the starter itself is engaging to crank over the engine but the engine is not starting but it sounds like it wants to start in most cases this is due to an issue with the fuel pump itself being weak.I have seen weak fuel pump issues in the past before cause this issue here with it needing replaced.You will need to have the fuel pressure tested as well as power and ground signals tested to the fuel pump to verify that the pump is the cause needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician