Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I drive a 2005 Volvo XC-70, with 125,000 plus miles on it.

Customer Question
I drive a 2005...

I drive a 2005 Volvo XC-70, with 125,000 plus miles on it. The dealer tells me that I need to replace the throttle body. Cost $1,000. Advise. Help! Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Volvo XC70. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Nothing in particular. The card has been good overall, except for maintenance and replacements (breaks, struts, etc).

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Volvo
11/21/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So this is kind of a double edge sword, you can get the dealer to do it with brand new parts, which im assuming they are using, and have a warranty, or you can get the part your self which there are a few options, 500 being the highest and about 150 for the lowest price, the higher price is a reman or new throttle body from volvo and the 150 is aftermarket, even if you wanted to do it your self it will need to be programed, so a shop will have to do that so the 1000 isnt too bad for a warranted new part

Was it part of recall? I️ remember recalls on Volvo throttle body.
I am not mechanically inclined, really challenged. Like to get the best advice before I go ahead with this costly repair. I recall there were a number of recalls and warranty extensions on Volvo throttle body. Any of those recalls or warranty extensions of help here?

There was a electronic throttle module warranty extension, but not for that model, they do change things all the time but if it did apply they would have told you and applied it to the repair

Recall or not, are Volvo owners expected to replace the throttle body, say every 80,000 miles or so?

its different for every vehicle but yes that is a common failure among other things with volvos,

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician