Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Checking. 1998 Volvo ABS light had been on and off. Dealer…

Hi, Checking. 1998 Volvo...

Hi, Checking. 1998 Volvo ABS light had been on and off. Dealer estimated cost about $1,000. Saw local mechanic trusted by friend. Said they did diagnostics and could be speed senor and confirmation of speed sensor in hub. If just sensor $500, if confirmation another $300. A bit less than dealer. Does this seem correct ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just the ABS light Check engine has been on for years, but drive less then required so car passes inspection in PA. (exempt)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 Volvo?

S70

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Don't fix myself. Use dealer for 20 years.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Thanks. I'm on line.

The sad part here is that they both came up with different reasons for the problem. Only one is correct, so your dedication to the dealer may not really count due to the fact that they change employees often. What matters here is who is right? YES, it could be a speed sensor or a variety of other things too. I would make sure that they guarantee whatever it is they do to your car, that it will be fixed and guaranteed.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Thanks. You make a good point. I think the better course is to shop for a new (used car) at this point. Have a good day.

Thanks, ***** *****