Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I HAVE A 1999 VOLVO S70 WITH CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, CODE P 1081

WHAT'S THIS? JA: Does the light...
I HAVE A 1999 VOLVO S70 WITH CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, CODE P 1081 WHAT'S THIS?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON.
JA: Are you fixing your S70 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm fixing my car. I have changed the fuel pump, ignition coil.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/19/2017
eauto
eauto, ASE Certified Technician

The engine Control module (ECM) interprets the following as faults: If the engine control module (ECM) does not communicate with the immobilizer control module within 2 seconds of the ignition being switched on, or the engine is started when the ignition has been on for too long without the ignition being turned off in between. "No communication". If the +15 supply between the ignition and the engine control module (ECM) is switched on and off while driving, "faulty signal". If a faulty VIN CODE is sent from the immobilizer control module. Diagnostic trouble code ECM-720A is stored.

Condition
None.

Possible source

Faulty communication:

• the ignition has been switched on and off more than three times while driving.

No communication:

• faulty key (transponder Read or not programmed)
  • open-circuit or interference in communications cable between the central electronic module (CEM) and the engine control module (ECM)
  • defective central eletronic module (CEM)

Incorrect VIN code:

• defective engine control module (ECM)
  • faulty engine control module (ECM).

Condition

• the engine starts but stops immediately.
eauto
eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
John I forgot to mention I rebuilt the throttle body on my 1999 Volvo s70.
Rebuilding a throttle body should have nothing to do with this was that when the problem started?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Excellent answer thank you.
eauto
eauto
eauto, ASE Certified Technician