Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I purchased a 2004 Volvo XC90 at auction but it did not come

with any keys and the...
I purchased a 2004 Volvo XC90 at auction but it did not come with any keys and the closest Volvo dealer is in Phoenix which is two and a half hours away. Is there any way to start this thing so I can drive it to dealer. If not will I hurt anything by dragging it on a trailer to get it down there because I tow will be very expensive
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just purchased it a few days ago and had a tow company drop it at my house but the tow to Phoenix is a lot
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The steering wheel is locked and in park
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I still have not received anything? Does this work?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2017
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Cool, what do you think?

Is this a 2wd or 4wd XC90? Your not going to be able to start the vehicle unless you have a programmed key, now a dealer can cut you a key via the VIN number, one option is to call a mobile automotive locksmith, he may be able to cut you a key and program it depending on what tooling he has invested in. Alot of them here in the USA just do domestic key programming but some have invested in other makes to program keys, to get it out of gear, you can pop the cable off the transmission out under the hood on the top, there is a clip there where the shift linkage attaches to the transmission, that is the easiest way to get it out of gear when the transmission is in park and you can't turn the key, There is one clip that holds the shifter cable on the top. take that clip off and move the lever by hand, just make sure if it's on a hill you have the emergency brake set, or it will roll away!

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
It's a 2wd. Cool, that will get me rolling at least.

Yes, check a mobile locksmith first. Dealership will be 200-300 to program a key for this vehicle. Volvo dealers are definitely proud of their keys.

Let me know if you have any further questions. If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I'm looking at the car now what is the trick for removing that clip I believe it's the one under the intake box. And I understand Farrell being proud as I do work for a Volvo semi truck dealership

Yes, it is kind of under the air intake box. pull the clip up, swing it up, and then pull it out.

is this the 5 cyl. engine, or is it T6?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
5cyl

I think the T6's had a nut on top, as it was a GM box and 5 cyls was Aisin Warner Trans.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
It's the aisin

yea, I believe 5 cyl. have that clip. don't drop the clip under the hood, if it falls it warps into another dimension never to be found again.

The clip is back there on the bracket, or pull those two 12 mm bolts out and take the bracket off and leave the cable attached, all you need to do is get it one clip out of park, and you'll pull the bracket off and be able to move the cable then with the bracket attached.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Got it. Thank you..

Absolutely, Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician