Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

No power steering. Consistent. 2005. I wont to try to fix…

Customer Question
No power steering Mechanic's...

No power steering

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I wont to try to fix haven't done at this point

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

if the steering effort seems high the 1st thing to check is if the fluid level in the power steering reservoir is up to the mark ( check this when the engine is warm)

Also if the drive belt on the front of the pump is in good condition and the pump isn't making any odd noises especially when you turn the steering

Then check that the tyre pressures are correct to those stated in the manual / on the door jamb sticker,

if the steering is only heavy in 1 direction then I'd 1st check out the suspension joints
to 1st check the strut bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing
If this is OK then next check the steering joints by jacking up the car so both front wheels are off the ground and with the keys in the ignition ( to disable the steering lock) but the engine off move the road wheels from lock to lock by hand
the effort should be the same in both directions
if its not then I'd disconnect the track rod end ( steering joint) from one side to see if this helps
if the wheel then moves freely you know its not the strut mount or ball-joint on that side
repeat the exercise on the other side
if the suspension joints are all OK then try moving the steering wheel from lock to lock (this is with either the steering joints disconnected at the wheel end or at least the wheels off the ground and engine off) and confirm that the steering rack moves smoothly from lock to lock

if its tight throughout the movement this could be a faulty steering rack or a seized strut top bearing
if you've been getting any strange clonking or 'boings' from the front suspension this points to a worn strut top

Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you