Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Volvo V70XC is running rough. When I checked two of the…

Customer Question
2001 Volvo V70XC is...

2001 Volvo V70XC is running rough. When I checked two of the three spark plugs were badly fouled the other three were clean. At the local parts store, I could only obtain one new ignition coil. I replaced a coil on one of the two fouled spark plugs with some, but incomplete improvement. Am I on the right track. Will things get better after I replace the other coil, or am I actually looking at something more ominous.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When did you last check the plugs?

127,000 miles. It is my in-laws car that they use as winter snow birds. I tried to obtain the work history on it (they bought it used). All I know is that the belts were replaced at 105,000 miles. No date on the spark plugs. I replaced all 5 today and there was not much left of them - and as I mentioned, two were wet and cruddy, the other three were pristine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Volvo?

V70 Cross-Country. Non-turbocharged AWD.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced all five spark plugs and one of the five ignition coils (from the cylinder of one of the two ugly looking spark plugs).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also connected it to the computer at an autocrats store as it had been displaying the check engine light and a flashing check engine light, but the computer interrogation rendered no error information.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 5 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

All these fouled plugs were they on the same side of the engine?

Do you have a picture or can you explain the plug appearance?

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician