Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 Volvo s40. Just changed out fuse for lighters, and when…

2006 Volvo s40....

2006 Volvo s40. Just changed out fuse for lighters, and when I went to start the car, it wouldn't start, and key now will not go back to 0 - stuck in ignition switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Not worn or damaged. haven't tried turning the wheel yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It happened 2 minutes ago. have only tried going back into fuse box and checking connections

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

11/18/2017
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** sounds like either the steering column lock has suddenly failed or the shifter is not in park. If the shifter is in park I would have to suspect a faulty steering column lock.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Worthless reply. 20 minutes of online forums revealed 10 other possibilities. This was a slow ripoff.

Sorry for the late reply. I normally answer Mercedes questions but it was quiet in the Mercedes section so I thought I might try to help. Did you get this figured out? By the way. JA has a 100% money back guarantee. This is not a ripoff.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Car was working fine until lighter fuse was changed. In that process, CEM connection came loose and had to be reseated. I didn’t realize that I should have disconnected the battery before working on the fuse panel. Tried to reset CEM by disconnecting battery and discharging system, but it did not work. Battery is 1 week old.
Shifter is firmly in park and plunger is fully out
Key will freely move to any position except the position that lets you remove it. That’s what makes me think it is not the steering column lock, which, as I understand, would prevent the key from reaching #2 position

I'm wondering if you removed a fuse for the steering column lock and reinserted it back into the wrong slot. Look for any empty slots in the box that should have fuses. Fuse 23 is important. Also make sure that your battery is fully charged. Connecting jumper cables from a good battery might help. If you have low voltage the system will malfunction.

Connecting to a good battery/running car did not help. Only one fuse was missing, but my next step is to check every fuse. The only power that works is overhead lights at rear view mirror.
Headlight parking version works too, as do power locks but not windows
Is it possible jumping it did not work because I hadn’t yet tried to reset CEM?

It sounds like a CEM problem. Make sure you have the connectors plugged into the CEM correctly. With everything properly connected try disconnecting both battery cables and join the cable ends together for 5 minutes to reset the CEM. You can also try adding the jumper cables after you reconnect the battery cables to rule out low voltage. If you have a voltmeter you can test the voltage across the battery terminals.

Completed as described with no change. Looked at fuses 23 and 54, seemed fine, but replaced anyway. Checked diagram against all fuses. No change. Your assessment of the CEM being the source seems correct, but I can’t find the issue. Could I have shorted the CEM originally since I hadn’t disconnected the batter? How would I verify a shorted (or improperly connected) CEM?