Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My sons 2004 s40 is having intermittent speedometer issues,

My sons 2004 s40...

My sons 2004 s40 is having intermittent speedometer issues, also the horn works 75% of the time and the heating fan and stereo sound vacilate. i am guessing electrical, we replaced the alternator after we were told it was iffy. Any help would be appreciated

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No leaks, but have not checked the level

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

If easy to moderate we will try to fix. only changed the alternator

Answered in 1 day by:
11/19/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

I am sorry no one has responded yet. I know you must be thinking " I have been taken or this is a scam" Neither are the case. Sometimes there are more questions than we can get to and we just keep getting farther and farther behind. Today I have worked my fingers numb and just can not get to everyone. I am pretty sure I can help. Sometimes customers need help now and if help comes later it is just to late. In your case if it is not to late, let me know and I will do my best to earn your business.

Chris

I do need some help.on this still, I appreciate any insight you can provide
  1. Is the speedometer at times working then not working at all or is it at times just reading inaccurate? is it affecting the way the transmission shifts?
  2. Is the horn not working right now, if so are the other controls on the steering wheel working or not?
  3. Go into more detail on the HVAC blower and radio?
The speedometer will work if we hit the steering wheel, same as the horn. When it is not working it is dead.The hvac seems to "surge" but not in time to acceleration or engine rpmsWe have looked for obvious wire ware or shorts, Was hoping for some tips to try before we take it in to a professional with the proper equipment.
  1. Do you own a pair of jackstands to run the vehicle in gear on?
  2. When the blower surges is this in auto or manual mode? Is it surging to the tune up low speed to high speed or less than that?
No to the jackstands.I don't know the answer if auto or manual, but guessing manual mode.I got a 19.00 charge, is it just one charge for this line of questions? Or ...?

You only pay once. We need to get the vehicle in the air so we can run it in gear to be able to mess with wires to try and find what is causing the speedometer to fail. Any way you can do that being you have no jacks? When the blower surges is this in auto or manual mode? Is it surging to the tune up low speed to high speed or less than that?

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Your answers were ok, I just can't really act on the speedometer request. The heater deal is secondary and I only brought up in case you thought it was relevant to the speedometer. I will take It to someone with a lift. Thx for the effort

You are welcome

Keep in touch if needed

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician