Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I can't open the hood. Apparently the latch cable has broken…

I can't open the...

I can't open the hood. Apparently the latch cable has broken and my mechanic says it will take 6hours of labor to fix. Is there some less expensive workaround. It's a 1999 S80

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. I took it to the gas station that has serviced it and they managed to open it and told me the cable was broken and needed to be replaced but it would take about 6 hours

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

IT starts fine and runs fine. When I was going to add oil is when I found out I couldn't open the hood because the latch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks.

11/16/2017
Kevin
Kevin, Technician

Hi im kevin is bonnet still open ? My recommendation would be to go elsewhere, the factory job time is 3.5 hours so im not sure where they got 6 from ?

Is there another way to fix it?
No if cable is broken it will have to be replaced but at six hours that's nearly double the manufacturers job time
Kevin
Kevin, Technician