Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I recently have had a serious issue with my 2000 S70. The

I recently have had a...
I recently have had a serious issue with my 2000 S70.
JA: Are you fixing your S70 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The ABS light has come on, then the traction control light next, followed by the SRS light. The charging light is also on. The engine starts and idles, but cannot be revved. The last time the car could be driven the speedometer also stopped working. Halfway home, all the lights went off and the car drove normally. Went to use the car again a few days later and all the symptoms reappeared.
JA: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?
Customer: not to my knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Brakes were replaced recently
11/14/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

These warning lights mean that there are codes stored. Do you know those codes from a scan tool?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Moose,just wanted to get back to you. Borrowed a friends cheap OBDII scan tool, and it indicated no codes. so I am not sure what is up. I will now try to move the car and take it to the auto parts store to use their scan tool to see if I get a different result.
I did have one other thought however. Let's just say that the alternator is failing/has failed. If the charge output was low and the system voltage dropped, could the low voltage trigger these lights to come on as electrical power became increasingly limited? Might that also explain the inability to rev the motor?

Low and or high voltage can cause electrical issues like things not working right, modules storing codes, warning lights on, and engine running issues.

The ABS light has come on, then the traction control light next, followed by the SRS light. All of these are codes in modules outside of the PCM/ECM. Most cheap generic tools like DIY and parts store ones can not access these modules to get those codes. Cheap tools can only diagnose engine issues and these lights are from non engine issues.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Moose,The problem turns out to have been the alternator as the only real issue once it was diagnosed as having low output. Thanks.

Good job.

Good job

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician