Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 S40, 90k miles. F33 fuse blows repeatedly, causing

p0031 and p0037. Googling suggests...
2005 S40, 90k miles. F33 fuse blows repeatedly, causing p0031 and p0037. Googling suggests vacuum pump switch. Getting in the car and pumping brakes 10x, then key in ignition, results in a high pitched whine from the engine compartment.
Link to video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygxxv1i7i033wxy/IMG_0036.m4v?dl=0
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Oops, a phone call is not needed if it costs extra.
11/14/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Have you unplugged all things on this circuit, tried another fuse to see if it blows as well?

I'm afraid I don't know the following:
1) what else is on the circuit (do you have a diagram (not schematic)). The "for dummies" version :) ?
2) I read that failed O2 sensors (or not working due to failed circuit) is not really a concern besides emission/idling; is a failed switch/vacuum pump an immediate concern? (Or anything else on this circuit.)Did the whine noise in the video sound normal to you? Or like something specific?

The whine I believe is from the throttle body because the key is on but the engine is off.

Faulty O2 sensors can affect the emissions and air fuel ratio. A faulty vacuum pump is not an immediate issue.

Fuse 33 powers the green yellow wire to the vacuum pump switch, and all 3 O2 sensors. If you unplug all of these does the fuse still blow? If not then plug each back in one by one to see which blows the fuse.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Ok, that makes sense. I'm happy to rate you 5 stars, but if you have any way of providing a picture or diagram of those wires to try unplugging it would be very helpful. (Or just a description of where to look for them.) The main thing was to ensure that the car (and driver, my daughter) are in no immediate danger w/ faults in either O2 or vacuum pump. Everything I have read says that brakes will be fine but may require a little extra pressure if the pump is indeed failing.

Is this the wire diagram you are wanting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro2k0k23yqkdc1i/s40ep.pdf?dl=0

That's great but a little more low level; I was hoping for the "drawing" outline of the parts in the engine cavity. Like you used to see in Chilton manuals (am I old? :) ). Or like you see when ordering replacement parts. I have rated you 5 stars btw! :)

You are wanting me to circle the parts on this diagram powered by this fuse?

I was looking for something more like this, just so I have a general idea of physically (not electrically) where the wires for the sensors and pump are connected. I might be able to google it out, still trying.http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2001/2001_SV40/IMAGES/2001154H.JPG
Heck yes it does! Thank you very much!

You are welcome