Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I recently bought 2005 S40 2.56speed with 25,000 miles and

Customer Question
I recently bought 2005 S40...

I recently bought 2005 S40 2.56speed with 25,000 miles and it runs great but has a loose timing belt cover and oil is everywhere under the timing cover and leaks out. Not sure where to start JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses? Customer: I have done nothing to it JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far? Customer: Not much I've taken it to get fluids changed and all they say it has a major leak JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you? Customer: I just want to get an idea so I don't get shafted when I do take it in for repairs.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Volvo
11/10/2017
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If there is a substantial oil leak from behind the timing cover then the most likely causes would be leaking cam seals or the front crank seal. These seals are on the front of the engine behind the timing cover area and would leak pressurized oil into the timing cover. The source of the leak will need to be located, most likely the timing cover will need to come off and the area cleaned up and then the engine ran to allow it to leak again. Replacing these seals would take approximately six hours.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician