Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 2006 S40 Volvo, I do not live close to a Volvo

Customer Question
dealer, I have light...
I have a 2006 S40 Volvo, I do not live close to a Volvo dealer, I have light coming on that states engine service, I had some one tell me the code is po170, also P2187, can you explain what this means. the red light has not come on. just the yellow
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: is the cod p0170 and P2187 no I do not have a code reader or scan tool, I got this information from a mechanic
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Volvo Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no we are not trying to fix it ourselves, we have tried nothing. the code came on this week.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/22/2017
Volvo Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. There are many things that can cause these 2 codes. P2187 - System Too Lean At Idle Bank 1 Possible causes Intake air leaks Faulty front heated oxygen sensor Ignition misfiring Faulty fuel injectors Incorrect fuel pressure Lack of fuel Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) Hard to start engine when cold P2187 Description In order to provide the best possible combination of drivability, fuel economy and emission control, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses a closed loop air/fuel metering system. The PCM monitors the HO2S signal voltage and adjusts fuel delivery based it in closed loop fuel control. Changes in fuel delivery will be indicated by the long-term and the short-term fuel trim values. The ideal fuel trim value is around 0%. The PCM will add fuel when the HO2S signal is indicating a lean condition. Additional fuel is indicated by fuel trim values that are above 0%. The PCM will reduce fuel when the HO2S signal is indicating a rich condition. Reduction in fuel is indicated by fuel trim values that are below 0%. The DTC relevant to fuel trim will be set when the amount reaches excessive levels because of a lean or rich condition.

P0170 - Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1 Possible causes Intake air leaks Faulty front heated oxygen sensor Ignition misfiring Faulty fuel injectors Exhaust gas leaks Incorrect fuel pressure Lack of fuel Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection Tech notes Dirty air filter, air filter housing or Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, or faulty MAF sensor are common causes for the P0170 code. When is the code detected? Fuel injection system does not operate properly or the amount of mixture ratio compensation is not correct Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) Excessive Fuel Consumption P0170 Description With the Air/Fuel Mixture Ratio Self-Learning Control, the actual mixture ratio can be brought closely to the theoretical mixture ratio based on the mixture ratio feedback signal from the heated oxygen sensors 1. The Engine Control Module (ECM) calculates the necessary compensation to correct the offset between the actual and the theoretical ratios. In case the amount of the compensation value is extremely large (The actual mixture ratio is too lean.), the ECM judges the condition as the fuel injection system malfunction and light up the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) (2 trip detection logic).

do you still need assistance?

hows it going?

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician