Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2008 Volvo S40 with 90k on the odometer. The other…

Customer Question
I have 2008 Volvo S40...
I have 2008 Volvo S40 with 90k on the odometer. The other day an error message popped up saying something to the effect of: "Steering wheel locked. Turn wheels and try again." As a result, the car would not start. Lights and radio come on fine.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Volvo
10/20/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 9 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

when you insert the key ,the anti theft system will recognize it and common the steering column wheel lock to release so you can start the vehicle,'

now to know if we have key ,anti theft or steering whee lock module issue, we need a volvo or equovelant capable scanner to retrieve the fault codes

now with that said ,a low or weak battery will cause ,ignition switch

have you noticed the security light when this happen is it staying on

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

now since you did all that , most likely security issue but you need a to have it scanned or it will be a guess and you end up throwing parts at it

if you get fault codes you can post them back here for me and i canhelp you further on it and be accurate

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

No, the security light is not staying on. The battery in the vehicle is also brand new.

you still need to scan it , there is no one answer on this or i will be guessing unfortunately

we have a lot of switches , modules ,wiring ,connectors ,steering angle sensors etc between the anti theft ,ignition and steering module involved here any could be causing the no start

The vehicle is currently at a local repair shop. They have indicated that the problem is a faulty steering wheel lock module. I understand that this is a common issue for this model year. The local repair shop can replace the part but I will still need to have it towed 60+ miles to the closest Volvo dealership to have the steering wheel lock module programmed to match the key. Is there any workaround that will allow me to drive the vehicle as opposed to having it towed?

i understand , no there is not ,as far as by passing anything

you can try a master reset if the local shop have not already hopefully it will reset to get it started once to drive it might

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat