Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Charging failure light is on and I have had 2 alternators…

Customer Question
Charging failure light is...

Charging failure light is on and I have had 2 alternators installed one a Volvo product

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The battery and a warning inside the dash Charging Failure

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

S80 2007 3.2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nope I bo simple repairs like oil change and tire rotation.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think there is a compressor problem when I turn on the ac or heat it starts to whine and make noise once I turn it off it stops making noises but how can they be related?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Volvo
10/3/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

Read below & click on link to view pdf file showing tsb bulletin on this issue and how to test and repair it

now this the most common but not only one , I also included the wiring diagram for this vehicle ,All wires needs checked using voltmeter for continuity or any shorts before Any Parts replacement

DTC Diagnostic Trouble Codes Text Update: Alternators are being removed from the Prior Approval process as of January 13th, 2013. DESCRIPTION: The majority of replaced alternators have had no faults with the alternator itself. As stated in VIDA, replacing only the voltage regulator (ACM, Alternator Control Module) is the recommended repair for an alternator that is not charging correctly. Additional fault tracing information: Charging voltage: Normal charging voltage can vary depending on many factors such as battery state of charge, battery temperature, electrical loads, etc... The normal range is 13.5-14.8V with an average of 14.2V. In VIDA, "Quick test of alternator function" can be found in Fault tracing->Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures->372.

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat