Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I just got a 2004 Volvo xc90 and the stereo will sometimes…

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a 2004 Volvo xc90 and the stereo will sometimes turn on with the car and then turn off within a minute and sometimes will not come on at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

Fuses I think have been checked. is there a specific one?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

When I bought it that was one of the things that I asked to dealer to fix. He sent it to a mechanic and came back to me and said that that was a common problem in Volvos and he would have too much in it to fix it and still make money. He gave me $300 dollars to fix it myself. Did I get taken? Do I need a whole new stereo system? I am willing to try things myself but I am not the most mechanical individual. I have 2 hours of commuting to work every day and I have been using a boom box.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

They said they fixed the actuator on the front passenger door and it worked for a day, but now when you unlock or lock the car, that door does not respond

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Volvo
10/1/2017
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If a fuse blew then the radio would not work at all. If the problem is intermittent then you can rule out a blown fuse.

The problem is either an internal failure in the radio or a wiring issue causing the radio to lose power or ground. It would require some electrical testing at the time the radio is not working to know for sure, but the radio will almost surely need to be replaced. What will need to be done is remove the radio and test it's power and ground feeds while it isn't working, if power and ground is present then it will need to be replaced.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

what about the door lock issue?

The site does ask that a separate question page be opened for unrelated issues.

If you have one door without functional power locks it's either a wiring problem or a bad actuator. It will require electrical testing to determine exactly what is wrong. The most likely causes would be a bad actuator, in which case it would need to be replaced, or a broken wire in the boot between the door and body.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician