Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

P2187 and p2178. 2004 xc70. New gas cap. No and yes. No

Customer Question
P2187 and p2178 Mechanic's...

P2187 and p2178

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2004 xc70

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

New gas cap

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No and yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No other symptoms

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Volvo
10/1/2017
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

These codes set when the engine is running rich and fuel has been taken away to the fullest extent that the engine controller can and it is still rich. You're setting a code for both banks running rich.

Does it run poorly, smell rich or smoke?

No, it runs fine, no difference at all from before. From what I understand, P2187 is too lean, and P2178 is too rich, no?

Yes, these are actually a rich and lean code for the same bank rather than one code for each bank.

These can't set at the same time. If you clear the code and drive it which one comes back?

I cleared the code yesterday, but it hasn't come back on. I'll get back to you when it does.

Ok.