Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I am in same place as this guy only I set cams the way they…

Customer Question
I am in same place...
I am in same place as this guy only I set cams the way they should be.I'm getting compression kicked backward out throttle body and brake boost hose is blowing off.no codes no rpms in crank mode.no start obviously
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Volvo
I got it to fire up prior to this(after rebuild) and it caught three different tines shuddered and stalled.then saw it jumped a few teeth ...reset marks locked cams set belt put it all back together now this.
9/25/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

you don't say what make model and year this is but

If you haven't already then I'd suggest doing a compression test across all cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

if you have greater differences than this its quite possibly showing the cam timing isn't right

The other possibility if you do have 1 or more low cylinders is that the valves have clipped the pistons due to the timing being out by 3 teeth

If this is all OK then I'd check over the wiring loom to ensure that the injectors and coils are all plugged into the right spots

Not really looking for basic knowledge.I do know enough about internal combustion engines to perform my own leakdown test which as you know is superior to a compression test.I also tested all injector pulses w a noid sensor.I also mainly was asking what could cause compression to kick backwards that bad that it blows the brake booster vacuum line off.I guess I was really just looking for a tech to tell me something specific as I've never heard of anything like this. Like knowledge beyond my knowledge.like could there be any chance the forum that states intake valve cam slot on high side and exhaust can on low side( slots are offset on this 04 1.9 t s40.....)
I don't know maybe what you are saying is that you cant't tell because I still need to perform all the basic tests to find my answer.if I know the can orientation is correct then I guess you would know what to do from there. Maybe in retrospect that's the precise information I need.
Whether my cams are set right or are they 360 off..(180 each)again no rpms in crank mode .04 s40 1.9 t.thanks!
Um no..not a diesel 04 1.9t s40.....if its a misfire its not throwing a code. How can a misfire possibly push compression back out throttle body? Have you ever seen this in person ?
Oh man I think I may be beyond help .I think I need to start over from the beginning and do a leakdown test...still wondering why no rpms in crank mode when my v70 2.4t shows rpms in crank mode.
Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago

Hello

I've seen backfires into the inlet manifold actually blow the manifold apart that was down to faulty ignition timing though

but its entirely possible the cam timing is way out and also producing this issue

a leakdown test would also help show if the cam timing was out as you'd have 2 cylinders not making much compression / sealing

and regarding the no rpms showing if you have a OBD scan tool then yes it should show on this in a monitoring mode if there's nothing flicking up on the rev counter then I wouldn't worry too much about that

but if there's nothing on the scan tool I'd be checking that you have 12V on the ECU fuse and if you do then check the state of the crank sensor connection and wiring and consider replacing that sensor if the connection looks OK

and I've posted the cam timing up for the 2.0 ltr which should be the same as for your 1.9 petrol

I should also say if the crank sensor is faulty then this can also create backfires etc so it may be this is the root cause

Wow.cuz I replaced the crank and cam sensors and all coilpacks and it cleared 5 codes and I got it to fire up crappy as it ran.if crank sensor or cam sensor was bad it'd be no start and a code thrown.I'm lost

Hello

OK so teh car is now on new crank and cam sensors?

if so then I'd proceed with checking the cam timing

Well that's the whole thing about this question I went to another forum.tech stated my cam orientation is dead on.intake big half circle down.exhaust big half circle up.yes both new cam and crank sensors are in and the new coil pack plug and play and it took all my codes away.so at that point when I readjusted timing I had enough compression to start the car so I'm not looking specifically at a compression test to explain the no start and key thing here -this air kicking out the brake boost line. Here's what my question is I want to focus on. You say that can be ignition but there is no code!!! That's why I think I'm chasing my tail w compression.and if I bent valves on a cylinder which I doubt I did since one time I did that in idle in a leaky front can seal on a 2.4 - no problem after.

Hello

OK thanks for the extra information

so compression is good and cam timing is right

and no fault codes ....

OK this is starting to sound like it may be a wiring issue ?

if the coil or injector wiring is shorted out and then you'd get cross firing and misfires?

may I suggest disconnecting the injectors 1 at a time to see if any cylinder not running improves the situation

and if you coulld also unplug the injector sockets and coil sockets and do a continuity test between them and the ECU socket

anything more than a few ohms and the wiring is damaged

OK I got the answer at a garage since I ran across town.I got the specific answer do I have to pay anything sorry. I also had to compensate them for the specific problem advice.I am sorry.but I figured it out elsewhere.

glad you got it sorted would you mind telling me what it was?

and you've already paid, as the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.