Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 Volvo D.C., reduced engine power. Car just stopped. Was…

Customer Question
2005 Volvo D.C., reduced...

2005 Volvo D.C., reduced engine power. Car just stopped. Was running great previously.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

80,000, automatic, turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

It happened almost a year ago. A friend put in injector cleaner in gas tank which was at half full and filled it with higher octane. I was alternating higher octane and injector cleaner. Have had no other problem until today. I am a single older woman so totally freaked out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I took it up to the mountains last week and went up to almost 100mph as I heard that was a good thing to do occasionally

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Volvo
9/23/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.
1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

The computer message box says "Reduced Engine Power", what has been referred to as "limp mode." It causes the gas to not work. What would cause that to engage I suppose is what I need to know. Last time we thought it was bad gas. My car gets regular oil changes. Any other thoughts?
The car is still where it broke down so I can't look at it.
Oops, it's "Reduced Engine Performance."

Hello

OK as you've got that error message then it means that there will be a stored fault code

I'd suggest the best course of action is to plug in a scan tool to pull off this code as this will speed up the diagnosis greatly as it will either point directly to the fault or at least give more evidence such as

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Auto-Code-Reader-OM123-OBDII-OBD2-EOBD-Auto-Diagnostic-Scan-Tool-Hand-held-/382221141498?epid=1691302183&hash=item58fe27c5fa:g:ZWcAAOSw1uRZsRHE

Scan tools are very cheap these days or your local garage may lend you one for the hour it takes to get to the car