Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Just got my Volvo back after the heater core failed and car…

Just got my Volvo...

Just got my Volvo back after the heater core failed and car overheated. Drove it for a few miles before I discovered it overheating - the head gasket is blown. Shouldn't the mechanic have verified the integrity of the head gasket before proceeding with $1500 worth of work? Not happy!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yep, no leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2000 V70 XC

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V70 XC yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, just got it from the mechanic and took it back to the mechanic 50 miles later and they diagnosed the blown head gasket

9/21/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

To check the integrity of the headgasket, you do a coolant pressure test to check for holding pressure. This cannot be done with a leaking heater core as it will lose pressure from the leak. If an external leak is found, in this case the heater core, then that repair has to be made and then do a pressure test afterwards to see if there are any other issues, but again, any external leak has to be repaired beforehand.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Thanks! That's what I thought. They failed to do any pressure testing, but had no qualms with proceeding to change my timing belt, oil pump, etc. and sent it out the door with a failed head gasket even though I asked them not to proceed with any work if the head gasket was not intact. Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.