Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Is it practical and cost effective to repair a rack and

penion fluid leak on a...
is it practical and cost effective to repair a rack and penion fluid leak on a 1981 Volvo 242 DL with power steering? I mean the power steering works but it leaks fluid from under the right right bower rubber boot. Should I need to replace the rack and penion unit, what should I expect to pay for a unit, rebuilt or used and labor to put it on? Also, the fuel pump in the tank, what should I expect to pay to replace it if needed?
9/19/2017
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Rebuild rack and pinion are available from part stores for approx 300-500$ depending on the model as well as the rebuild kits for the same rack and pinion. LAbor to replace the rack and pinion replacement is approx 200-250$ and to rebuilf 350-400$.

Do you have any other questions?

What about the costs for a intank fuel pump?

Parts and lobor approx 350-400$ for the fuel pump replacement.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent auto mechanic and do not work at or for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me .

3. I only get credit for my work from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer

Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh