Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a Volvo v70 wagon. I changed the sparkplugs as well

I have a Volvo v70...
I have a Volvo v70 wagon. I changed the sparkplugs as well as a headlight bucket. It will now crank but won't start. I didn't disconnect the battery during the work.
Answered in 2 days by:
9/22/2017
Shawn Few

Hey ,how are you
I seen That your post been sitting for a long time without an answer ,I 'm sorry for your long wait without getting an answer till now
I will try to help you on this issue if you have not gotten it resolved yet
Please Let Me Know
Thank You

My apologies for not getting back to you.

Your request for additional info was deleted from my in-box accidentally so I don't know what you are asking for. I have continued looking and maybe found the root cause as when I changed out the left hand headlamp lense at the same time a sparkplug change I removed the hood latch and placed it to one side in order to get at the head lamp nuts.

I didn't disconnect the electric plug at the time. I closed the hood and the car started. I drove it down the road and at 55mph it died. I pulled over, opened the hood and it started. I close the hood again and drove at about 35mph and it ran fine. I repeated the test drive again and it repeated it again but only this time I had to close the hood to get it to start.

Now, it will idle well for a little while and then becomes erratic. I thought the switch at the hood latch was defective so I disconnected it and jumped with a wire and it doesn't help, it's still erratic. Hope this helps...........keith

T​he first thing we need to check is for spark and fuel ,we need these 2 to start and stay running?

check for vacuum leaks,smoke test or spray starting fluid at idle when running does engine rpm surges up when you

any security light flashing on dahs?

the ckp, crank shaft position sensor is most common if u missing spark

in case it lost sync with security system ,try below procedure

do you have a capable scanner to retrieve fault codes

I do not believe the headlight issue is related ,the hood switch will be related if the secuorty is triggerd on

MASTER RESET

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

do not worry no spark will happen since we took power source out of the loop by taking both cables off, by touching them we are taking all residual power off the modules to reset them as if we using factory scanner .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You

Shawn Few

I'll be able access the car on Monday. I don't have a scanner but will try the procedure you have described. Thanks for the detailed reply and I'll let you know and I'll keep you posted. keith

You welcome keith

Well, the procedure changed a few things in that it dies at 35mph and I noticed the temp. gauge is working again. One thing it does do is the hood latches have always been a problem with this car in that I have to pull in once to unlatch the right side then get out and lift the hood a little and pull the latch a second time to get the left one to work.

Now, when the car is running and I pull up slightly with the right one disengaged and the left engaged the car shuts off. I checked the voltage for the left side latch and can't get any thing over 1 volt (and it wonders around to almost nothing) and I would have thought 12 volts would be good unless it's some sort of low voltage system.

I don't have a scanner! keith

Keith ,sounds that latche is triggering the ant theft interminelty

Hi Shawn

I don't want to clutter up your in-box but a follow up on the fix is informative. It turned out that the majority of the problem was the ground wire on the right headlight bucket. I did replace both hood larches with a good used set from E-Bay so the wiring for the left side was replaced also. Insured the latch surfaces were clean at the bolt locations. Once done I followed the procedure you outlined and the car is running fine. thanks....Keith

awesome deal, hey Keith u got it i m glad sorry been off for few days ,

Shawn Few
Shawn Few
Shawn Few