Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have readiness monitors that will not set. I have a 1998…

I have readiness monitors...

I have readiness monitors that will not set. I have a 1998 Volvo S90. The O2, evap and catalyst have never been ready since June, while I have been trying to pass Wisconsin emissions testing. I have on order a new genuine Volvo upstream O2 sensor, which I expect will allow the O2 monitor to set in the future. The secondary air monitor shown an error every time it has set. It is not ready as of last test. The secondary air pump works, the check valve into which the secondary air pump directs air opens with vacuum in testing. It had been corroded in place until about a week ago which I was unaware of. I need to get the secondary air and one of the other 3 monitors to set without a MIL light in order to finally pass emissions. I can have 2 unset monitors and pass.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

A new genuine Volvo secondary air pump was installed. It turns out the old one was working. The bracket cushions and motor installation cushions were all replaced (6 cushions total). The air check valve was unfrozen with liquid wrench and reinstalled. The solenoid was removed and tested and appears to be functional. The secondary air relay was replaced with a new genuine Volvo relay. The downstream O2 sensor has been replaced twice, most recently with a Walker manufactured item.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The heated O2 monitor has set ready with both of the new sensors installed. The vacuum line from the solenoid to the air check valve was checked for patency and it seems clear of obstruction. the vacuum line from the manifold to the solenoid as a check valve with black side to the engine and white side to the solenoid.

9/19/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, at this point is the check engine light on?

And what drive cycle are you performing to set the monitors to ready state

Drive Cycle
1. Start the engine and accelerate to approximately 1500-2000 rpm. 2. Drive for 6 minutes at 1500-2000 rpm. 3. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 70 seconds. 4. Accelerate to at least 45mph and drive for 5 minutes at 1800-2200 rpm. 5. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 60 seconds. 6. Accelerate to at least 45 mph and drive for 4 minutes at 1800-2200 rpm. 7. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 60 seconds. 8. Park the vehicle and turn off the engine.
No check engine light

Put the vehicle on a lift or on 4 jack stands and do the following drive cycle. It is for GMs but I have found it work great on Volvos. getting all the wheels off the ground allow you to do the drive cycle precisely as stated without worrying about traffic issues interfering with it

Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 122°F (50°C) and within 11°F (6°C) of the ambient air temperature at startup.
Do not leave the key in prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire, and - if closed loop is achieved- Fuel Trim.
Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 55mph (88km/hr) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph (88km/hr) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 20 mph (32km/hr). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 55-60mph (88-96 km/hr). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph (88km/hr) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

The drive cycle I gave you I understand to be specific for Volvo and published in a Volvo Technical bulletin.
I was expecting to talk with a Volvo expert.
How to do a drive cycle to set monitors ready is not the question. Did you read my long and detailed explanation?
Are you there?

HI,

I am a Volvo expert. I am just telling you that on these older Volvos, I have found that the GM drive cycle works better.

Yes, I read your entire post. With the check engine light not on and all the repairs done at this point, the monitors should set to ready at this point. The only reason they wont would be low voltage condition or a marginal converter

Is a vacuum leak in evap likely?
What level voltage is too low and what do you mean by the converter, is that the alternator?

HI,

A vacuum leak in the evap system would set a code such as P0456

anything under 10.5v to the ecm would cause it to not set the monitors.

by converter, I mean the catalytic converter

Is it possible the ecm needs a software download. Have you seen that as an issue, ever, in a similar situation.
I have emissions testing documentation for the vehicle for the last 4 years including 3 different registration cycle. The 3 monitors I mentioned earlier have never shown ready: evap, catalyst, O2.

I cannot imagine a 98 would need a software update for this. I have never encountered it.

Yes, I see trouble cars all the time that I have to go thru 4 or*****cycles to get the monitors to set. The older they are, the harder they are at times to set the monitors.

I am hoping that the new upstream O2 sensor give me the last needed monitor, provided the secondary air sensor does not throw a light the next time it sets. I am retired and do not drive all that much.
I will try the GM drive cycle if the Volvo one does not work, after the next repair, the O2 sensor. Thanks. I had already seen the GM drive cycle online, but I have not tried it. Thanks, ***** *****

You are welcome

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager