Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I just recently installed a blue power BLP840 radio in my…

Customer Question
I just recently installed...

I just recently installed a blue power BLP840 radio in my 2006 Volvo S 60 The radio only stays on for about two minutes then shuts off. The guy that sold me the radio said that there is a problem with the yellow wire, the accessory

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

Aftermarket specifically for Volvo

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '60 Volvo?

S60 2.5t 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just hooking everything up. There were no wiring instructions or diagram to go with this radio. But the factory wiring harness plugs right in to the BLP – 840

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What I am thinking, is I need the wiring diagram from the ignition switch to the fuse terminals then to the radio harness I need to know what all the lowers are according to their color.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Volvo
9/17/2017
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the original radio did not have the same symptoms and this radio plugs directly into the factory connector then the problem is most likely in the replacement radio.

The power feeds you're concerned with are the violet wire (switched power) and the solid red wire (battery power). You can use a test light to see if these wires have power when the radio will not work, if they do then the radio isn't turning off because it's losing power from the vehicle.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

The radio comes on for a two minute period then shuts off.

I did note that in your first post.