Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Second opinion] front ended vibration on a at low rpm

Customer Question
Second opinion] front ended vibration...
Second opinion] front ended vibration on a hill at low rpm
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Volvo
9/16/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 9 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

What is the year, make and model of your vehicle

Is this vibration going up or down a hill

do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or seat as well as the front end

Hi Eric,It is a 2010 S40 Automatic Diesel 2.0 with a 6 speed Powershift transmission. The car has approximately 80,000 miles. The health of the vehicle was checked at the Volvo garage and there were no faults recorded with the transmission or any other systems.The vibration seems to be front-ended. The vibration feels like something is shuddering in the front end of the car.It occurs going up a hill. For example, stopped at a light at a hill, then pulling away, the shudder will occur shortly after takeoff. If I am going up a steep hill and am barely applying enough power to get up the hill so that the vehicle is barely progressing up said hill, it can happen as well.I can also elicit the shudder by throttling the engine from standstill on a flat road.The vibrations are much stronger when doing this up a hill, but still very obvious on a flat road as described above.Of note, I have also forced the engine into manual 1st gear and am able to get the shudder by throttling the engine from starting from a standstill.

HI,

Do you ever get any clunking and/or lunging from the engine/transmission when putting in gear from park

No, I don't experience this going from park to gear. I do feel like the shift from 1st to second gear is a slightly jerky sometimes, but not terribly so.

HI,

Ok, if you shift into neutral when it is vibrating, does the vibration immediately stop

I haven't tried that, but it would be difficult to tell if it had passed as it normally does or if it were due to shifting to neutral because the vibration lasts for about 1 second.

HI,

With the vibration only lasting a second, I honestly am not sure. Possible that it is from one of the cv shafts, but I cannot say for certain.

Regarding the CV shafts, there is no sign of clicking when the wheel is turned all the way to the right or all the way to the left
It is also possible for me to avoid the vibration if I make sure to be gentle on the pedal and take care to accelerate slowly and evenly

HI,

Clicking only happens if the boot tears and loses grease and causes the large bearings to hit the cage without any grease to protect them.

The right cv axle is a 2 piece shaft with a balancer where they connect. The vibration would be from the balancer being bad.

Again, I am not sure on this one.

I will opt out and see if another expert may know for certain

Thanks Eric. Is it possible that the problem is with the computer?After I bought the car the computer was going haywire and I had it reset and all the connections cleaned. It worked fine after that.I didn't notice the problem before this (although I'd only been driving it for a week or so at that point). So I'm wondering if that could possible have anything to do with it. I was reading about how the computer learns how you shift.
I also noticed that when I'm on a sharp uphill (I noticed it going up ramps today in the parking garage), if I apply the amount of gas at which the vehicle is barely moving forward or stationary, the rumble will occur. If I accelerate it will go away.